The Soup Fairy

The Sunday before Thanksgiving, I was playing some games with friends from church. I was reveling in the glory of dropping an Arrested Development reference in Scattergories (C + Something you yell = "C'mon!") when one of the boys mentioned that he had been subsisting on caramels for the past several days. I had just made a huge batch of delicious chicken tortilla soup and offered to bring some to him so that he wouldn't starve to death before the salvation of a home full of free food. I told him that I would come over around 8:45 the next morning before my classes, and I was assured that he would be awake and ready to receive the delicious tupperware of soup.

I got up early and got dressed, forcing poor Elaine to do the same because I needed moral support trudging through the cold that early in the morning. I dug the soup out of the refrigerator and spent a good amount of time searching for a normal sized tupperware container and a matching lid. I feel like all of our tupperware is meant to either feed an entire family, or a sole chipmunk. Seriously, I just checked and we own a ton of 4 oz. tupperware containers. Why does tupperware that small even exist? Probably just because it's adorable!
D'awwww
We set out for the boys' apartments, soup in hand, feeling very strange walking in the opposite direction of campus at 8:30 in the morning. By the looks we were getting from people passing us, we appeared as strange as we felt. As we climbed the stairs to the third floor, a thought came to me, What if they're still asleep? That would be so awkward. Hey! I know you're in your pajamas. I have soup! So, that makes this even more unusual! Mind if I come in and completely disrupt your morning routine? 

I knocked on the door. There was no answer. I nervously pulled out my phone and began to call him, when we heard movement from the other side of the door. I put my phone back in my pocket and looked up to see his roommate, in pajamas, staring at me. At this point, a normal person probably would have explained the situation more thoroughly than, "Hey....I have soup for Todd." Unfortunately, those are the exact words that I uttered.
"How...nice," he mumbled, taking the soup from my hands slowly
"Oh...I mean...he knew I was coming," he just stared at me and although I knew that I should just say my goodbyes and hightail it out of there, I said this, "I mean, I'm not just like some crazy person bringing soup in the morning! Hey! I'm the soup fairy...I'm....gonna...go now." Blank stares. The door creaked shut.

Comments

Popular Posts