Failed Flirting over Flautas


On my journey home from Provo, I stopped in Chicago for a few hours. I realized that I hadn't eaten anything since that morning and so I made my way to the food court nearest my gate. I made a quick sweep of the place and quickly the word "flautas" on the menu of the Mexican place pushed any thought of going elsewhere from my mind. I love Mexican food of all varieties. Give me a Taco Bell quesadilla or my legitimately Mexican aunt's tamales, I will be happy.

I walked up to the guy behind the counter and was greeted with a "Hey beautiful!". I'm not really used to such greetings, and I considered going to the Greek place across the way, but the flautas were calling to me. I will put up with sexual harassment for delicious Mexican fare, apparently. I ordered, payed and stepped back to wait for my food.

Just as I got my mother on the phone, the man called to me from the deep fryer, "Why are you so beautiful?".
I decided that pretending I didn't hear him would be my safest option, "Uhhhhh....what?".
"I said, why are you so beautiful?"
I had no idea what to say. How am I supposed to answer that question!? "Genetics, I guess" I said with a weak laugh.
My mom began to accost me over the phone for calling her and then talking to someone else. "I'm sorry mom, this guy keeps asking me questions", I said loudly, hoping he would hear me and back off. We had passed the polite society barrier when he creepily kept eye contact with me while scooping my black beans.

He asked me where I was from and what I was doing in the Chicago airport. My mom began to panic. "Why are you answering his questions!? He has your credit card information! He could find you!" This insane monologue was happening in my ear as I warily answered him.
"When are you going to come here again?"
"...Next time Southwest wants me to, I guess." Seriously, how is a person supposed to answer these questions?
"Well, next time you come through, ask for Juan", he said with a wink.
"Heh. heh. Yeah, bye", I said, quickly retreating.
I heard a faint "I love you" and my walk turned into a brisk jog.

Totally worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts