Code Names

The beginning of this year, my team at work had their name changed from ViPeR (video promotions resource) because the name was incredibly confusing. Basically, they came up with the acronym so that we could have a cool name like Viper and therefore it made no sense to anyone. The name got changed to On-air Promotions, which is much more descriptive of what we actually do. However, everyone complained that our new name was too long, and it was shortened to Blue Ops, which once again makes little sense, but it sounds cool, so whatever.

We had already started calling Kenny "SeƱor Mustache" at that point and so he decided that we should all have sweet code names to match our new team name. I was the only girl at that point and so we figured that my nickname would be easy. We thought about Black Widow, but then remembered that it would probably be pretty overused in the coming months. Besides, what girl wants to be connected with Scarlett Johansson?

It's sarcasm, everyone. Calm down.
He decided to go with something related to black widows.
Way sexier than any woman capable of marrying Ryan Reynolds.
So, Hourglass became my code name. I thought it was pretty funny and people find themselves incapable of making up a suitable nickname for Mary, so I was kind of excited about it. A week or so later, Kenny mentioned my codename in the crowded lab.

"Uhmm. Why is her name Hourglass?" Duncan questioned him.

"Because she's the only girl!"

As the confusion mounted, I slowly came to realize why the name Hourglass might come off as a little strange if you didn't know the thought process behind it.

 I quickly chimed in with, "It's because a black widow has an hourglass shape on them!" That was when Kenny realized what had happened.

"Woah! I am engaged! Everyone calm down!" Everything was clarified and there was talk of giving me a new code name, but at that point the entire circumstance was far too hilarious to change anything about it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts