Awkward Beginnings

I have been an exceedingly awkward individual for the full 19 years of my life. Last year, I developed a close relationship with my amazing RA, Chalene. We bonded over my many awkward moments and how much I love to share them with people. I've been doing a bit of blog stalking lately and became inspired after reading these blogs and decided to finally share my ridiculousness with the world. Maybe people other than my friends and I will be amused by my antics, maybe this will just be another awkward failed endeavor. We'll just see what happens.

I'd like to start off with a simple awkward adventure. One that happens to many of us. How many times have you gone to the movie theater and when they say "Enjoy your movie!" you have to stop yourself from saying "You too!" like an idiot. It happens to me almost every time. Except the difference is, I seem unable to contain my idiocy. Whenever I have to give an automatic, polite response to something, there is a 50% chance that I will somehow screw it up. 

It's almost as if whenever there is a social cue that requires a response, my brain plays Russian roulette with phrases and I am never lucky. The other day, I bumped into someone, as clumsy people tend to do. Before I could stop myself or even realize what was happening, I blurted out "Thank you!". The girl's facial expression turned from that of slightly annoyed to completely bewildered. She probably thought that I was some sort of maniac who bumps into people for thrills.

Just yesterday, I was getting off of the bus home from work. I am currently involved in the Disney College Program, which means that I work at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fl and live in a Disney apartment complex with roughly 5,999 other kids my age. I always try to be friendly with the bus drivers because they have to deal with disgruntled Disney employees all day long. Whenever I get off of the bus, I turn to the bus driver and say a quick "thank you" before making my exit. This time, I stopped, turned to the bus driver, decided to say "thank you", opened my mouth, and in the loudest voice I could apparently muster said "HI!". It took me a second to realize what had just happened. I mumbled something about who knows what and stepped off the bus as quickly as possible.

Of course, I immediately called my mother. She thought it was hilarious.

Comments

Popular Posts