So Much for First Impressions...

My roommates and I have started a new tradition this year. Every Sunday, we take turns making a delicious meal and inviting over a room of boys from our church. Strictly for friend-making purposes, of course. I somehow managed to escape this responsibility. Until today. I had been stressing out over the entire situation since the second the boys left last Sunday and I realized that my doom was approaching. I can barely muster up the social skills to talk to girls I don't know, let alone boys, and certainly not when I'm asking the boy to do something with me.

I had resolved to ask a boy that I had talked to a few times before. He seemed nice, and not too intimidating, but I still collapsed into a social anxiety coma whenever I even thought about the moment I would have to ask him. I went through church, fretting the moment that was to come. I promised Erin that if I saw him on the way out, I would definitely ask him. If not, I would be more than happy to invite over Evelyn, my roommate from last year. That was slowly becoming my actual plan.

We left our last class and began the long journey down the hallway to the doors. I looked toward the end of the hallway, and cursed my luck. He was there. Right there. I would practically have to walk through his current conversation to escape from the building. Erin looked at me and I knew that there would be no giving in to my pleas to scurry through the back entrance to freedom. "Erin, he's talking to someone. I can't interrupt!"

"Just wait until he's done!" she retorted, obviously sick of my whining.

"Fine! I'll just hover here awkwardly until he feels obligated to speak to me!" And that I did.

I got his attention and began the most stumbling, stuttering sentence of my life. (My crippling internal dialogue is in italics)

"Did you..(No! That makes it sound like we had talked about it before!)...Um...Would you...want to...(crap crap crap)...dinner..(His roommates too! HIS ROOMMATES TOO!)...Would you and your roommates want to have dinner at my...(AAAAHHH)....our house tonight?"

He expressed that he had plans for the evening, but his roommates might want to go. I muttered a lame "oh", most likely turned a bright red, and promptly forgot that I had the ability to form words.

Thankfully, Erin stepped in and asked some questions. I had regressed to slipping in comments now and again that were met with an awkward pause before one of them could bring it back to normalcy. Eventually we made our awkward goodbyes and stumbled out of the door. I immediately began a bitter diatribe on my lack of social skills, complete with extravagant hand gestures. I happened to turn around and see that he was standing in front of the glass door, and could obviously see every single thing that I was doing.

Oh, and his roommates declined my offer. Not like we didn't see that one coming.

Edit: Just for the record, I don't have a crush on this kid. Which makes this story even better, or worse. It depends on if you have to be me or not.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts