A Car Ride to Remember

Don't panic, but I have a slight tendency towards exaggeration. I try to keep it under control while writing this blog. It mostly pertains to my use of superlatives in conversation. I knew that I had a problem when I blurted out that The Goofy Movie was "like, my favorite movie!" False. It's good, but not that good. 
The best Disney movie, for the record.
My over enthusiasm to categorize the world into "the worst" and "my favorite" sometimes gets me into trouble. A while ago I was in my ex-boyfriend's roommate's car on the way back from Salt Lake City. This roommate was a rather hipsterish young man, and therefore I felt the inexplainable urge to impress him at all times. We were listening to his music and a familiar song came on. I could finally prove my coolness to this trendy kid. "Is this Four Year Strong?" I piped up from the backseat.

"No, it's A Day to Remember. But, I'm impressed that you know Four Year Strong. Do you listen to them?"

This is where I made my fatal mistake. "Yeah! They're one of my favorite bands!"

False. I do like most of their songs that I hear, and I went through somewhat of a punk/screamo phase in high school, but they're far from my favorite band. I have one song by them on my iPod.


It's pretty sweet, but that's beside the point. My feigned enthusiasm excited him and he reached for his iPod. "Well, let's listen to them then! What's your favorite song? I don't know how I feel about their new album."

First of all, I completely blanked on the name of the one song that I definitely knew. Also, I have no freaking clue what their new album is like. I racked my brain for generic answers. Man, they're such sell-outs! or I feel like they've really gone back to their roots, ya'know? I mustered a lame, "Well, I don't really follow them that closely" and settled back into my seat to hear his lecture on how deep their music is.

That was pretty much the end of that conversation. I steered the topic towards literature and I totally schooled him there. English major, what!?

Comments

Popular Posts