Defusing the Tension

I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to post much lately (I apologize to my mom, who is probably the only person that reads this regularly). I also haven't been able to actually feed myself very often, which is far more regrettable. I've been frequenting the Twilight Zone for bagels, sandwiches, and other unhealthy overpriced foods on campus. I've been tempted on a daily basis by the mecca of cheap college food, but have yet to succumb to its cheesy allure.
My faux-Mexican weakness
I was in the long line at the Twilight Zone, trying to have all of my materials ready for the checkout line. I get so stressed out in fast-paced situations like that. After working at Disney World, I know how annoying it is when customers aren't ready after waiting in line for fifteen minutes staring at the menu. If you stand in a turkey leg cart line for twenty minutes and are expecting a churro, you deserve the sugarless disappointment, that's all I'm saying. I had my ID card, my wallet, the bagel, everything. I even had my money out and waiting.

I had to break a twenty, so I was anticipating the moment when I got that handful of change back. My preparations profited me nothing. The cashier handed me the change, with the coins on top (which is the dumbest) and I fumbled with it while glancing around nervously. I knew that everyone in line behind me hated me. The cashier hated me. I hated me.

The bills would not fit into my tiny girl wallet. I finally stuffed them in and reached up to grab my receipt with the same hand. I turned my hand to get the receipt and change came pouring out of the wallet I had been unable to close because of the stubborn bills. It seemed like the waterfall of pennies would never end as I glanced around nervously at the aggravated faces around me.

I have this terrible habit where whenever I do something awkward, my first instinct is to attempt to diffuse the tension by making what I think is a clever comment. Really, it just looks like I'm talking to myself. So, when the change went everywhere, I pretended to dive after a quarter and loudly said "Noooo! Laundryyyy!" No one laughed. They just continued to stare at me as I chuckled awkwardly, clutched my bagel closer, and made my escape.

Comments

Popular Posts