The Wedding

As I near my own wedding (95 days!), I've started reflecting on other weddings I've attended. Most have gone off without a hitch on my part. I showed up. I hugged people. I ate free food. I danced. I was merry. However, there was one incident that was less than comfortable.

My friends, Whitney and Stephen, were getting married. Actually, Stephen is the famous Bow-tie. (I feel safe revealing his identity now because I'm pretty sure he's read this blog before. I doubt it would be that difficult to put two and two together). But that's not what was awkward.

Stephen and Whitney are cooler than me. I'll be the first to admit it. I like having friends that are cooler than me. I can steal their fashion ideas. They were both in the campus sketch comedy group, Divine Comedy, and are both now on a BYUtv show called Studio C. That's also not what made this situation awkward. I just wanted to give them a plug. You're welcome. All five people that read this blog will now watch your show.
It's pretty popular with the kids these days.
Whitney had been talking to me about her wedding plans and it sounded like it was going to be a pretty cool event, so I grabbed my roommate and we were off. I was wearing what my friend Scarlett likes to call my "Utah outfit." It's a mint green and white striped maxi skirt with a white t-shirt and a grey scarf. I wouldn't normally describe my outfit to you, but it's important to the story. Bear with me.

We pull up, find a parking spot and make our way into the backyard where the reception is being held. Horror. Pure horror. Remember how Whitney had been talking about wedding plans? She had told me her colors. I had forgotten them. And that's why I was matching the wedding party in mint and grey. Not only were they wearing mint and grey. They were wearing mismatched mint and grey. So, I looked like I belonged. But I didn't.

My roommate started laughing hysterically as I desperately looked around at the mint dresses and skirts that surrounded me. It looked like I was trying to be part of the wedding. I should have listened to Scarlett and stayed away from that cursed outfit!

I saw Whitney and went to say congratulations/make my apologies. "I am so sorry! I did not intend to imply that I was a sister or close friend!" I said as she walked towards me. She quickly brushed aside my comment, but that outfit is forever haunted by my accidental attempt at being a bridesmaid.

Comments

Popular Posts