The Beginning

Everyone has a pretty cutesy story of how they met their spouse. Spencer and I met in a fairly normal way. He was in my ward. Our apartments hung out together all the time. We became friends. Standard stuff. There's also some pretty awkward stuff in there, too.

For instance, I had a crush on his roommate before I liked him. We've both come to terms with it. Spencer and I still hung out all the time by ourselves. And (because I'm an idiot) it never occurred to me that he might have been tricking me onto pseudo-dates. He would start bets over the smallest little things and whoever lost would have to take the winner out for ice cream. He didn't care if he won or lost. He just wanted to go out for ice cream with me. He usually paid even though I always lost the bets because apparently he felt guilty about it.

The most awkward incident was one that I have been wanting to write about for a long time, but wasn't sure if I should. Now that we're engaged, I feel fairly secure. 

The day before I left for Christmas break, Spencer came over and bought me breakfast. I was feeling sick, so he was definitely coddling me. We started to watch a movie and slowly cuddled more and more. What can I say? I was sick and it felt snuggly! I had told him a few days before that I just wanted to be friends, so the poor thing was probably very very confused. 

When he started to leave, we walked to the door and hugged. The hug lasted longer than I expected and then when he pulled back, he kept his face very close to mine. I didn't know what to do. Was he trying to kiss me? I was sick! That's gross! I was terrified. I panicked. And what do I do when I panic? Strange things.

I kissed him. But, he wasn't expecting it, so he turned his head and I missed. I apologized and then suddenly he was kissing me. But, when I say kissing, I mean kissing. I can barely breathe through my nose and here's this kid who I thought was just my friend, making out with me!

It probably looked something like this.
We stopped after a few seconds and kind of laughed and then he left. I wanted to die. I went to call my mother and then I realized that I did not have my phone. I must have left it in his car when we went to get breakfast! I heard a timid knock on the door. I answered it and there was poor Spencer. He handed me my phone, mumbled something, and left again.

A few hours later, I was feeling really really awful. I took my temperature and it was 102, so I was still very contagious. I called him, but he didn't answer so I left a message something like this: "Hey it's Mary. I took my temperature I'm still contagious so take lots of vitamin C and never talk to me again ok bye."

Poor Spencer.

Comments

  1. This was a great story, Mary. I am so happy for you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts