The Tale of the 24-Hour Boyfriend: The Reckoning

Unfortunately, texting continued and eventually a date was planned. He didn't have a car, so I went to pick him up. When he got into the car, he just looked at me and said the worst possible thing a boy can say to a girl on a first date, "So, what do you want to do?" We vaguely drove around for a while and burned up my gas until he finally decided that he wanted to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings. Classy.


So, we sat down and got our food and started eating. Conversation was fairly normal, a little difficult to keep flowing but nothing too terrible. I just couldn't help but notice that he had obviously shaved right before our date commenced. This was because there was a giant glob of shaving cream hanging onto the side of his face. I didn't know if I should say anything, and it became one of those times that the longer I went without saying anything, the more awkward (and also imperative) it seemed.

Once we were done, he told me that I didn't have to take him home because he had already packed his work clothes and was ready to go. "Well, I was actually going to take the bus today," I said, "because it's free."
"But, I'm already here and I don't know if I'll have time to catch the bus!"
"When does your shift start?"
"In 45 minutes!"
"Mine doesn't start for two and a half hours!" I was so angry, but he was right. If I didn't drive him, he would be late, so I grabbed my clothes and a book and drove him to work.

After I had finished my shift around 2am, I found that he had asked our managers to extend his shift so that we would get off at the same time. Who does that!? As we rode the bus from the tunnel under Magic Kingdom (love how I slipped that awesomeness in there?) to the parking lot, he proceeded to tell me all of the reactions that our various coworkers had given him when he told them that I was his girlfriend. I didn't even say anything at that point because I was so stunned. We had been on one date. ONE. And a full 24 hours had not even passed since our dinner.

When I dropped him off at his complex, I explained to him that I would be willing to go on more dates with him, but that I was not looking for a steady boyfriend at the moment, especially one that jumps the gun in such a creepy fashion. "This has a time limit" I said, "I'm going back to Utah in two months."
"Yeah, but I'll be in California!" he said, "That's not that far."
First of all, that's not even true. It's a ten hour drive. Secondly. . .WHAT!?

After I dropped him off, I had a second to clear my head and decided to end it as soon as possible. I texted him my thoughts and received a saccharine sweet message in return about how amazing I was. Although I do love being told how cool I am, I was not having it. Here's another journal excerpt:

"Well, today was weird. Devin was blowing up my phone with texts about how much he wanted to date me and how he couldn't understand why I wanted to slow things down . . . I called Mom and she thinks he's going to become a stalker or something. When we talked at work, he still wasn't getting it . . . so then he texts me after work and tells me that he's never going to talk to me again. I told him that we could at least stay friends, and said that (Hold on, I need to get the exact wording/spelling here) 'i wnt more thn tht'
Next text, 2 minutes later: 'i wnt someone i can come home to'
Needless to say, I did not respond. What the heck to you say to that!? So freaking weird!"

But alas, my life.

Comments

Popular Posts