Yet Another Dance Story

We've already discussed my lack of dancing abilities. It's serious. Elaine dragged me to another dance, and I was actually having a fairly good time. I should have known that something dreadful was coming my way.

For some reason kids at BYU have an uncanny ability to take any normal song, and turn it into a swing dance. I have no idea what is wrong with Utahans, but they can't seem to keep themselves from pretending they're in the 1950's at all times. And not in the good way. Exhibit A...

The dance was going fairly well, until a disco song came on. Apparently when a BYU kid hears disco, they assume that they must cha cha. How this thought process unfolds, I'm not quite sure. Two by two, my more skilled friends coupled off into ballroom dancing shenanigans, and I made my first attempt at escape. A boy that I had never met before grabbed me, and pulled my arms into a dancing position.
"Oh! No! I don't know how to cha cha!" I said, pulling away.
"Don't worry, I'll lead!" He said, and my further protests were stifled as I realized that we had begun moving and I was very close to stepping on his feet.

I spent the next minute and a half with my eyes firmly on the ground, watching my feet shuffle in awkward motions. This boy kept trying to make conversation, but I would simply look up at him the way I look at my dentist when he tries to talk to me when I have umpteen million cotton balls and his hands all up in my mouth. How am I expected to talk to you when I am preoccupied with not stomping on your feet like a blind elephant?

He kept looking wistfully at the other more skilled couples and eventually gave up on me, allowing me to finally escape to the refreshment table and the laugher of my friends who had been watching me chew my tongue in concentration the entire time.

Comments

  1. I know how you feel. I had a very similar experience with salsa dancing, except I knew the basics. And this one older guy was like, don't worry, I'll lead. He proceeded to spin me until I was quite dizzy and apparently in his world, "I'm really really dizzy" means "please oh please spin me more and faster". Ugh, not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I'm so sorry! Why do boys think that if they're experienced dancers, they will automatically be able to dance well with any girl by "leading"?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts