I Know That Feel, Bro

My boyfriend and I recently broke up. You may send the ice cream and Katherine Heigl movies to my apartment, thank you. But seriously, it was completely amicable and I'm mostly fine. Before this, I've never gone through a breakup before that I was actually upset about. I have an undefeated record in the dating arena, thank you very much. So, usually when I break up with a boyfriend, I feel like this:
When I feel that way, everyone can tell that I'm fine and actually congratulates me on my newfound single life instead offering condolences. I've never actually experienced that awkward moment when some sweet, innocent soul asks how a relationship is going and I have to tell them the legitimately sad news.

Until now. For some context, I work in a dark cave of a computer lab in the BYU Broadcasting building working on promos with around six or seven other college kids everyday. Sometimes the head of marketing comes down from his beautiful, sunlit office on high in an attempt to connect with us. He was shooting the breeze with some of the guys, when he suddenly remembered that I have all sorts of juicy gossip surrounding my life in that I date a boy that used to work there.

"Sooooo. What's going on, Mary?" he asked me, in an obvious attempt to find out how close I was to engagement.

I tried to play dumb. "In my life or with work?"

"I think you know what I'm talking about." By this point, the room had gone completely silent. All of the boys knew what he was trying to weasel out of me. They also knew that my boyfriend and I had been broken up for almost a week at this point. He looked at me expectantly, and I knew how incredibly awkward the next few seconds were going to be. I tried to weigh my options, and discovered that I had none.

"Well, Duncan moved to California." I said, hoping that it would go no further. Not for my sake, but for this poor man's. As you're well aware, I've had my fair share of uncomfortable moments in my life. I've learned to laugh them off, as I did with this one as soon as he left. But, I had the feeling that he wouldn't have the same sort of awkwardness stamina that I have been blessed with.

"Oh, so what does that mean? Are things getting more serious, then?"

That was it. I just needed to bite the bullet. "No, we broke up, actually." I kept my tone as casual as possible so that he would be able to see how ok I was and that he didn't need to feel awkward.

No such luck. "Oh...wow...I'm sorry...this is.....oh dang." Poor guy.

Comments

Popular Posts